Potassium sorbate is the potassium salt of sorbic acid, chemical formula CH3CH=CHCH=CH-CO2K. It is a white salt that is very soluble in water (58.2% at 20 °C). It is primarily used as a food preservative (E number 202). Potassium sorbate is effective in a variety of applications including food, wine, and personal care products. While sorbic acid is naturally occurring in some berries, virtually all of the world's production of sorbic acid, from which potassium sorbate is derived, is manufactured synthetically.
1. It is mainly used to inhibit the growing of microbe in food.
2. In the daily living, it can be used to prevent the mildew for soy, wine, edible vinegar and salted vegetables. Only adding 0.1 percent into them, you will find that their taste is better.
3. In freezing and cold storing foods, especially fish and shrimp, soaking them in the solution of potassium sorbate(0.3%) for 30 seconds, they can keep their original and individual taste.
4. Adding potassium sorbate to man-made cream and salad oil can prevent sourness and bubble because of fermenting.
5.If you add potassium sorbate into pastry, biscuit and bread, they will be of better tasty!
6. The meat which added the potassium sorbate can be store more a week than before.